09/01/2026
To our U.S. customers ♥️
We know the recent tariff changes have created a lot of uncertainty, especially for those of you who are currently waiting on an order or considering starting a new project with us.
We’re actively monitoring the situation and doing everything we can to help make things a little easier. While we can’t control the tariffs themselves, we can work with you on some alternatives:
* Need more time? If your ring or jewelry is complete but you’re not ready to have it shipped, we’re happy to hold onto it for an extended period while you wait and see how things develop.
* We can ship to an alternative location. If you have a friend or family member in Canada, or another location outside the U.S., we’re happy to work with you to arrange shipping there instead.
* Want to pick it up in Canada? We can help arrange pickup at our shop or look into an alternative Canadian location that works for you.
* We’re extending our loose-gem hold period. If you purchase a loose gem with the intention of building a piece with us, we’ll give you 60 days to work through your design rather than our usual 30-day window. You can also cancel during this period at no cost, provided the gem hasn’t been shipped or moved forward into production.
* We’re waiving restocking fees on eligible cancellations. For non-custom orders that are cancelled before shipping, we’ll waive our usual restocking fee during this time
We know none of these options completely solve the problem, but we hope they can give our U.S. customers a little more flexibility while things continue to change. We’re incredibly grateful for your patience and support, and we’ll continue doing everything we can to navigate this alongside you.
* If you have an order with us and aren’t sure what your options are, please reach out. We’re happy to talk through it with you! ♥️